time flies

don’t you think?!  and i don’t just mean when you’re having fun.  i mean daily, shit, hourly sometimes.

it’s all flying by so fast that it reminds me of being on tour.  an old friend (and those who read this and know who i’m talking about will sigh with a bit of sadness as he’s gone now) used to say a year on the road was equivalent to a dog year.   i think he meant that you’re just exposed to so much and evolving rapidly.  every day is a new city, a new show, a new restaurant (in my case), and an overall brand-new experience.  but each day also brings its trials… crazy traveling schedule, early radio shows after late-night concerts, bad dressing room food, limited showers, and don’t get me started on the tour bus reality.

i think that ties in a bit to this freelance world i’m in now and why i feel like time is flying by. i’ve sorta compartmentalized my life separately into work and play for so long that it’s been life changing to combine the two.  the fact that my new job is in the culinary world and also creative is just… so freaking cool.  but i’m not going to lie here.  just like the road, it can be hard too.  each day is a new “restaurant” with new recipes and new “customers” or clients. each day, inevitably, i get in the weeds.  each day i’m hard on myself and wish i knew more.  but each day i also learn something new, and that’s pretty priceless.

which brings me back here.  time has been flying by so much that i haven’t been posting as much.  sometimes i get writer’s block.  sometimes i get in my head about what you guys want to read about.  sometimes i wonder if anyone’s even reading.

are you?  and if so… what sounds good?  i’ve got some ideas but i’d like to hear from you and try and make as much happen here as possible (even if it takes me a while sometimes).

why?  because life is too short, and it’s flying by.

About Jennie

i'm like you... a lover of food and life. i cook, i create, i photograph, i dream - i love.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to time flies

1. Aly says:

Hi Jennie! I love your necklace! Could you tell me where I can get one done? :) Keep on cooking! You’re awesome <3

• Jennie says:

Hi Aly,
      The jewelry maker who made my necklace is Katy Grey and she is working on a website but for now, you can email her at: katygrey@hotmail.com. She’s awesome & does custom work. If you’re in Dallas, she’ll be doing a trunk show at my hair salon, Dear Clark on 11/18 & 19. X

2. Robert Rutan says:

Hey Jennie, It’s nice to see you posting again. I quit Facebook because it was wasting too much time. I’ve kept your blog as a favorite ’cause I enjoy reading it and gaining inspiration from a like-minded soul…Time Flies…there is a song by Porcupine Tree with a video (edited tune but beautiful videography) and song on Youtube. Check it out. I think you’ll like it.

Ok, here is my suggestion. You’ve been to so many cities, and I assume, countries, with both your new career, and your musical one, write about your favorite dinning cities, the least expensive dining cities, the most judgmental or picky cities, and the most laid back cities for dining. You can and should shoot down a few towns if necessary. ;-) You could combine cultural anthropology with your culinary work. In fact, that would be a great concept for a TV show but from a woman’s viewpoint, as opposed to Anthony Bourdain.

There are surprisingly few woman who have culinary driven travel or anthropology/cultural shows. You could discuss the history of a certain cuisine or the combinations of cultures that might make up a cuisine a la Sicilian and Italian in general. You could take a vacation in Switzerland and travel from the French canton to the German canton to the Italian canton in one day and have breakfast, lunch and dinner and write about it in a book.

I have so many more ideas. Let me know if you want more. I hope you will let me know if you are ever in the South Florida/ Miami area as I would love to say hello. Peace, love and happiness…Ciao

Rob

• Jennie says:

Hey Rob -
      Great to hear your very thoughtful insight. I’ll check out the song for sure. I do have a long litany of great places and meals I’ve had on the road. You know, one place that’s underrated is Boise, Idaho. I know, who woulda thunk? I’d love to do something with food and travel at some point, but right now feel like I need to nurture my Dallas time & my new career in Food Styling. Besides, I’m not quite sure what the future holds. One of my dearest pals is interviewing for a job in Paris on Monday. And I think when I’m older there will be some kind of farm or ranch in the picture. But whatever happens, it’ll all be here on some level. I appreciate your support. & I agree about FB, but what can you do?
      Cheers!

• Robert Rutan says:

Hi Jennie, thanks for the response. Question: What is food styling? Is it the culinary photography side for magazines (a la the beautiful photo’s on this blog) or is it the presentation of new recipes for restaurants or both?

I’ve been dreaming of a farm or ranch myself. Some of my friends and I have toyed with the idea of buying a huge amount of land and sort of carving out our own areas and communing. If you have a well, septic tank, and power pole, you are good to go. I actually purchased 2 1/2 acres of woodland (graded roads and electricity are out there) in Bronson Fl. southwest of Gainesville in North Florida as my fail safe. I wish I had so much more.

Wanna go in on a large piece of land somewhere? ;-) I’ve thought about herb gardening for Italian and Asian restaurants and forming a rock band as a side project. Right now, I kinda stuck here in Miami as a weather observer at MIA (great job) and because my townhouse is so underwater…Screw it… I better get moving ’cause Time Flies. ;-) Ciao

• Jennie says:

Robert, always great to hear from you. Land with a massive garden is def in my future at some point too! In response to your question, what is food styling? It’s basically the art and science of cooking and creating food for camera. In Dallas, it’s mostly a still photography town but I have done a little commercial work too. The cool thing is that it used to be lots of tricks (there of course are still some you need to know) but the movement has evolved into a more natural way of styling. Anyway, it’s great and hard and creative and inspiring. I think I know what one of my next blog posts should be. Thx for your support!

• Robert Rutan says:

Hi Jennie, I hope you are having an excellent October so far. Food styling sounds very interesting and your pics always make me very hungry. Do you do any of the photography? How did you get your training for styling or is it something you just have naturally as I know you are a very creative person? I’m looking forward to your next post. Ciao

• Robert Rutan says:

ps, could I have your email address?
            I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

3. Holli says:

I read your blog and love it…. I like hearing about your experiences and your life. You’re very inspiring!

4. Margaret Keimer says:

Yes Jennie we are reading you but substance gets a little dry when
    It’s only once every 4 to 6 weeks and where is the talk about FOOD?
    That category is a little sparse compared to
    your dreams, your creativity, etc. Why not gat back to your original
    Premise and talk turkey ( no pun intended) ?

• Jennie says:

Thanks Marge for your comment. That’s exactly what I needed to hear! It’s been tricky because at first the blog was written about searching for a job in the culinary world. Then the show happened and I learned so much about food that I didn’t know before. Plus, now I have a job in the culinary world. So, it’s been a bit of a conundrum as I can’t go back to what the blog was before and I’ve been stuck with what it should be now. I think your advice to just talk about FOOD is great. Here’s to some major turkey talking. Love ya!